ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Oil of the XXI century: a new paradigm
The scale of risks, uncertainties, errors and disasters associated with the prospecting, exploration and production of hydrocarbons that has accumulated to date makes it necessary to rethink the fundamental principles of the oil and gas industry. After 70 years of educational, practical and scientific work in petroleum geology, developing the foundations of geofluidodynamics of oil and gas-saturated systems, the author came to the conclusion about the need to develop a new paradigm. The main author’s petro-geological paradigm is that an oil reservoir is a living fluid-rock system, the state and parameters of which can rapidly change in a continuous mode under the influence of natural and man-made factors in accordance with the laws of spontaneous self-regulation. Suggestions and recommendations are made for the competent management of the technological process of oil production.
oil, paradigm, petroleum geology, geofluidodynamics, oil and gas saturated systems, risks and uncertainties
- Box G.E.P., Draper N.R. (1987). Empirical model building and response surfaces. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 424 p.
- Levorsen A. (1970). Geology of oil and gas. Moscow: Mir, Series “Earth Sciences”, vol. 22. 638 p. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P. (2018). On the oil and gas potential of the Paleozoic in Western Siberia. Kontseptual’nye modeli i vozmozhnye puti poiska zalezhei uglevodorodov v doyurskom komplekse Tomskoi oblasti: sbornik nauchnykh trudov otkrytoi nauchnoi konferentsii [Proc. Conf.: Conceptual models and possible ways to search for hydrocarbon deposits in the pre-Jurassic complex of the Tomsk region]. Ed. N.P. Zapivalov. Tomsk. (In Russ.)
- Ognev A.F. (1989). Theoretical, natural and experimental models of oil and gas formation and their use in forecasting oil and gas content: Abstracts. Leningrad: VNIGRI. (In Russ.)
- Trofimuk A.A. (1997). Forty years of fighting for the development of oil and gas industry in Siberia. Novosibirsk: SO RAS Publ. 369 p. (In Russ.)
- Xiao-Hui Wu. (2015). How to Predict Reservoir Performance with Subsurface Uncertainty at Multiple Scales? Society of Petroleum Engineers: Distinguished Lecturer Program. Lecture.
- Zapivalov N. (2006). Exploring exploration: new paradigms. DEW: the Complete Energy Journal, 16(02), pp. 40–45.
- Zapivalov N. (2015). Improved Oil Recovery vs. Enhanced Oil Recovery. In: Enhanced Oil Recovery: Methods, Economic Benefits and Impacts on the Environment. Ed. Alicia Knight. New-York: Nova Publishers, Inc., pp. 81–94.
- Zapivalov N. (2019). Upstream & Midstream risks and uncertainties. New ways of thinking. DEW: Drilling and Exploration World, 28(3), pp. 37–46.
- Zapivalov N.P. (2002). Rehabilitation cycles as the basis for replenishing active reserves in developed fields. Degazatsiya Zemli: geodinamika, geoflyuidy, neft’ i gaz: Mat. Mezhd. konf. [Proc. Int. Conf.: Degasification of the Earth: Geodynamics, Geofluids, Oil and Gas]. Moscow: GEOS, pp. 330–332. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P. (2005). Modern geological concepts and technologies of the forecast, prospecting and development of oil-and-gas deposits. Neftyanoe khozyaistvo = Oil Industry, 11, pp. 20–23. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P. (2007). Oil and gas geology: paradigms of the XXI century. Georesursy = Georesources, 3(22), pp. 11–12. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P. (2015). Five urgent measures for oil production in Western Siberia. Eko: vserossiiskii ekonomicheskii zhurnal = Eco: All-Russian Economic Journal, 5, pp. 111–117. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P. (2019). Petroleum research-and-testing site project as a perspective object for education, science and practice. Izvestiya vuzov. Neft’ i gaz = Oil and gas studies, 4, pp. 49–56. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P., Pavlov F.V. (2005). India – the way to big oil, 1955–2005. Novosibirsk: Geo Publ., 208 p. DOI: 10.13140/2.1.4645.3762. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P., Popov I.P. (2003). Fluid dynamic models of oil and gas reservoirs. Novosibirsk: Geo Publ., 198 p. (In Russ.)
- Zapivalov N.P., Smirnov G.I., Kharitonov V.I. (2009). Fractals and nanostructures in oil and gas geology and geophysics. Novosibirsk: Geo Publ., 131 p. (In Russ.)
- Zvonova O. (2014). Accident in the Gulf of Mexico: a chronicle of events and environmental consequences. Argumenty i fakty [Arguments and Facts], 22.04.2014. (In Russ.)
Nikolay P. Zapivalov
Trofimuk Institute of Petroleum Geology and Geophysics of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
3, Ak.Koptyug ave., Novosibirsk, 630090, Russian Federation
Zapivalov N.P. (2020). Oil of the XXI century: a new paradigm. Georesursy = Georesources, Special issue, pp. 15–18. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2020.SI.15-18