ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Study of the component composition of organic matter of the East Pre-Caucasian basin rocks based on the results of lithological, petrophysical and geochemical studies
R.S. Khisamov, N.A. Skibitskaya, N.I. Samokhvalov, K.V. Kovalenko, O.K. Navrotsky
According to pyrolytic and bituminological studies method of separate determination of kerogen and bitumen concentration been developed. In accordance with this method differentiation of organic matter components in different lithotypes of rocks been described. Also relationship between bitumen and kerogen concentrations been revealed.
The majority of samples have poor to fair organic richness and poor source potential. Kerogen type is commonly presented by type III and stages of maturity characterized by stages PC3 to MC3. Bitumen compounds have low concentrations of asphaltenes and aromatic hydrocarbons and mainly contains light and heavy resins.
Based on petrophysical and geochemical studies a close relationship between the concentration of organic carbon and the weight concentration of potassium nuclides was obtained. This relationship indicates that kerogen in the sediments under consideration is associated with clay minerals, which is also confirmed by the mineral composition of the rocks.
- Behar F., Beaumont V., Penteado H.L.D.B. (2001). Rock-Eval 6 technology: performances and developments. Oil & Gas Science and Technology, 56(2), pp. 111–134. https://doi.org/10.2516/ogst:2001013
- Bogorodskaya L.I., Kontorovich A.E., Larichev A.I. (2005). Kerogen. Research methods, geochemical interpretation. Novosibirsk: SB RAS Publ., Geo. (In Russ.)
- Chen Z., Jiang C., Lavoie D. et al. (2016). Model-assisted Rock-Eval data interpretation for source Examples from producing and potential shale gas resource plays. International Journal of Coal Geology, 165, pp. 290–302.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2016.08.026
- Dembicki Jr H. (2009). Three common source rock evaluation errors made by geologists during prospect or play appraisals. AAPG bulletin, 93(3), pp. 341–356. https://doi.org/10.1306/10230808076
- Fertl W.H. (1979). Gamma ray spectral data assists in complex formation evaluation. The Log Analyst, 20(05).
- Jarvie D.M., Jarvie B.M., Weldon W.D. et al. (2015). Geochemical assessment of in situ petroleum in unconventional resource systems. Unconventional Resources Technology Conference, San Antonio, Texas, pp. 875–894. https://doi.org/10.15530/urtec-2015-2173379
- Kerimov V.Yu., Mustaev R.N., Dmitrievskiy S.S., Yandarbiev N.Sh., Kozlova E.V. (2015). Prospects of the search for hydrocarbon accumulations in low-permeability shale strata of the Khadum Formation of the Ciscaucasia Perspektivy poiskov skopleniy uglevodorodov v slantsevykh nizkopronitsaemykh tolshchakh khadumskoy svity Predkavkaz’ya. Neftyanoe khozyaystvo = Oil Industry, 10, pp. 50–53. (In Russ.)
- Kerimov V.Yu., Lapidus A.L., Yandarbiev N.Sh., Movsumzade E.M., Mustaev R.N. (2017). Physicochemical Properties of Shale Strata in the Maikop Series of Ciscaucasia. Solid Fuel Chemistry, 2, pp. 58–66. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0361521917020057
- Kerimov I.A., Daukaev A.A., Bachaeva T.Kh. (2014). The resource base of hydrocarbon raw materials and oil and gas potential of the Eastern Ciscaucasia. Geologiya i geofizika yuga Rossii = Geology and Geophysics of Russian South, 4(2), pp. 30–41. (In Russ.)
- Khisamov R.S., Bazarevskaya V.G., Skibitskaya N.A., Burkhanova I.O., Kuz’min V.A., Bol’shakov M.N., Marutyan O.O. (2020). Influence of the pore space structure and wettability on residual gas saturation. Georesursy, 22(2), c. 2–7. https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2020.2.2-7
- Kholodov V.N., Nedumov R.I. (1981). Lithology and geochemistry of the Middle Miocene of the Eastern Ciscaucasia. Proceedings of the Geological Institute, vol. 358. Moscow: Nauka, 219 p. (In Russ.)
- Kozhevnikov D.A. (1997). Gamma spectrometry in the complex of geophysical studies of oil and gas wells. Karotazhnik, 38–39. (In Russ.)
- Kozhevnikov D.A. (2000). Interpretation and petrophysical information content of the gamma-method data. Geofizika, 4, pp. 9–19. (In Russ.)
- Lukanova O.O. (2011). Geological and geochemical conditions of oil and gas content of the Paleocene-Eocene deposits of the Central and Eastern Ciscaucasia. Cand. geol. and min. sci. diss. Kuban state univer. (In Russ.)
- Orel V.E., Raspopov Yu.V., Skripkin A.P. (2001). Geology and oil and gas potential of the Ciscaucasia. Moscow: GEOS. (In Russ.)
- Peters K.E., Cassa M.R. (1994). Applied source rock geochemistry: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Memoir 60.
- Samokhvalov N.I., Skibitskaya N.A., Kovalenko K.V. (2019a). Differentiated evaluation of rock production characteristics from well logging data on the basis of petrophysical and geochemical investigation. Geofizika, 6, pp. 85–92. (In Russ.)
- Samokhvalov N.I., Skibitskaya N.A., Kovalenko K.V. (2019b). The problems of determining the content of kerogen in the oil and gas source rocks. Geology, geophysics and development of oil and gas fields, 6, pp. 69–74. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.30713/2413-5011-2019-11(335)-69-74
- Samokhvalov N.I., Skibitskaya, N.A., Kovalenko K.V. (2020). Lithological-petrophysical and geochemical support for the interpretation of well logging data to determine the mass and volume concentrations of organic matter. Proceedings of the Gubkin Russian State University of Oil and Gas, 2, pp. 27–38. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.33285/2073-9028-2020-2(299)-27-38
- Schmoker J.W. (1981). Determination of organic-matter content of Appalachian Devonian shales from gamma-ray logs. AAPG Bulletin, 65(7), pp. 1285–1298. https://doi.org/10.1306/ 03B5949A-16D1-11D7-8645000102C1865D
- Sokolov B.A., Korchagina Yu.I., Mirzoev D.A., Sergeeva V.N., Sobornov K.O., Fadeeva N.P. (1990). Oil and gas formation and accumulation in the Eastern Ciscaucasia. Moscow: Nauka, 206 p. (In Russ.)
- Vassoevich N.B. (1982). About oil source potential. Methods for assessing the oil and gas potential of sedimentites. Moscow: Nauka, pp. 5–19. (In Russ.)
- Vincent S.J., Kaye M.N.D. (2018). Source rock evaluation of Middle Eocene-Early Miocene mudstones from the NE margin of the Black Sea. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 464(1), pp. 329–363.https://doi.org/10.1144/SP464.7
- Vorob’eva E.V. (2014). Palaeotectonic reconstructions and oil and gas source rocks of the Ryazan-Saratov trough. Cand. geol. and min. sci. diss. Saratov. (In Russ.)
- Yandarbiev N.Sh., Fadeeva N.P., Kozlova E.V., Naumchev Yu.V. (2017). Geology and geochemistry of the Khadum suite of the Ciscaucasia as a potential source of shale hydrocarbons. Georesursy, Special issue, p. 2, pp. 208–226. (In Russ.) http://doi.org/10.18599/grs.19.21
75 Lenin st., 75, Almetyevsk, 423400, Russian Federation
3 Gubkin st., Moscow, 119333, Russian Federation
3 Gubkin st., Moscow, 119333, Russian Federation
65, buil.1, Leninsky av., Moscow, 119991, Russian Federation
70 Moskovskaya st., Saratov, 410012, Russian Federation
Khisamov R.S., Skibitskaya N.A., Samokhvalov N.I., Kovalenko K.V., Navrotsky O.K. (2021). Study of the component composition of organic matter of the East Pre-Caucasian basin rocks based on the results of lithological, petrophysical and geochemical studies. Georesursy = Georesources, 23(4), pp. 66–72. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2021.4.8