ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Aluminum in quartz of the Darasun gold deposit (Eastern Transbaikal region, Russia)
L.T. Rakov, V.Yu. Prokofiev, E.A. Minervina, L.D. Zorina
Quartz samples taken from the ore veins of the Darasun gold deposit (Eastern Transbaikalia, Russia) were studied using electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) and laser ablation (LA) methods. The purpose of the research was to clarify the behavior of the Al impurity during quartz crystallization and its subsequent recrystallization. The results of the research were used to determine the genetic informativeness of the Al impurities concentration in ore quartz.
A separate study of the regularities of the distribution of Al impurity in the regions of crystalline structure and in the zones of crystal lattice distortions was carried out. In the regions of crystalline structure, the Al impurity concentration NAL was determined by the concentration of paramagnetic Al–O–-centers associated with the presence of substitutional Al3+ ions. The content of the Al impurity in the zones of crystal lattice distortions was judged by the difference between the gross concentrations of aluminum CAl and the values of NAL. It was taken into account that the intensity and direction of the studied processes can be influenced by the temperature of quartz formation and the degree of its recrystallization. The temperature of quartz formation was estimated by the values of Ti impurity concentration, and the degree of recrystallization was estimated by the content of Li impurity CLi in the mineral.
It was found that the amount of Al impurity localized in the zones of crystal lattice distortions is an order of magnitude higher than that present in the zones of crystalline structure. It is shown that this phenomenon is explained by the high ability of the zones of crystal lattice distortions to capture of Al impurity during quartz crystallization. The amount of Al impurity trapped by quartz increases sharply with an increase in the temperature of the mineral formation. In areas of regions of crystalline structure, a different picture is observed − impurity capture during crystallization proceeds with low intensity and is not so critically dependent on temperature.
It was found that the Al impurity in the considered zones behaves differently during quartz recrystallization. If Al impurity capture continues in the regions of crystalline structure, then Al impurity removal from quartz can occur in the zones of crystal lattice distortions at high CAl values.
Based on the data obtained, the areas of use of aluminum impurity contents as a typomorphic feature of ore quartz were determined. The Al impurity concentrations proved to be suitable for use in cases of low ore formation temperatures, and its gross CAl contents have the prospect of wider use. It is noted that a characteristic feature for quartz from high productivity zones is a negative angle of slope of the CAl(CLi) dependence plot.
quartz, Darasun gold deposit, EPR and LA methods, Al impurity, crystallization, recrystallization
- Bershov L.V., Krylova M.D., Speransky A.V. (1975). Electron-hole centers of O-Al3+ and Ti3+ in quartz as an indicator of temperature conditions of regional metamorphism. Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geol., 10, pp. 113–117. (In Russ.)
- Botis S.M., Pan Y. (2018). Theoretical calculations of [AlO4/M+]0 defects in quartz and crystal-chemical controls on the uptake of Al. Mineralogical Magazine, 73(4), pp. 537–550. https://doi.org/10.1180/minmag.2009.073.4.537
- Chernyshev I.V., Prokofiev V.Yu., Bortnikov N.S., Chugaev A.V., Goltsman Yu.V., Lebedev V.A., Larionova Yu.O., Zorina L.D. (2014). Age of granodiorite porphyry and beresite from the Darasun gold field, eastern Transbaikal region, Russia. Geo. Ore Deposits, 56, pp. 1–14. (In Russ.) https://doi.org/10.1134/S1075701514010036
- Dersky L. (2015). EPR-quartz characteristics of the Muruntau gold deposit (Uzbekistan). Mineralogichesky sbornik, 65(2), pp. 93–98. (In Russ.)
- Fedushchenko S.V. (2004). Structural impurities in industrial vein quartz and rock-forming quartz of granitoids. Abstract cand. geol. and min. sci. diss. Moscow: MSU, 20 p. (In Russ.)
- Goryachev N.A. (1984). Typomorphic features of vein quartz deposits of the gold-quartz low-sulfide formation (Verkhoyano-Kolyma folded region). Cand. geol. and min. sci. diss. Yakutsk: Institute of Geology of the Yakut branch of the SB of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 210 p. (In Russ.)
- Grigoriev D. P., Zhabin A. G. (1975). Ontogeny of minerals. Moscow: Nauka, 339 p. (In Russ.)
- Iwasaki H., Iwasaki F., Oliveira V.A.R., Hummel D.C.A., Pasquali M.A., Guzzo P.L., Watanabe N., Suzuki C.K. (1991). Impurity content characterization of Brazilian quartz lascas. Jpn. J. Appl. Rhys., 30(7), pp. 1489−1495. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.30.1489
- Iwasaki F., Iwasaki H. (1993). Impurity species in synthetic and Brazilian natural quartz. Jpn. J. Appl. Rhys., 32(2), pp. 893−901. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.32.893
- Kostov R.I. (1984). Spectroscopic study of quartz of various genesis from the Rhodope Median massif (NRB). Cand. geol. and min. sci. diss. Moscow, 184 p. (In Russ.)
- Lyakhov Yu.V., Dmitriev L.K. (1975). Physico-chemical conditions of mineral formation at the Darasun gold deposit (Eastern Transbaikalia) by inclusions in minerals. Mineralogichesky sbornik, 29(4), pp. 17–22. (In Russ.)
- Lyutoev V.P., Makeev A.B. (2013). Structural elements are impurities in quartz sandstones of the Pyzhem depression (Middle Timan). Lithosphere, 4, pp. 110–120. (In Russ.)
- Mashkovtsev R. I. (2009). Structure and electronic state of intrinsic defects and impurities in quartz, beryl and KTA crystals according to electron paramagnetic resonance and optical spectroscopy. Abstract Dr. phys. and math. sci. diss. Novosibirsk: Institute of Geology and Mineralogy SB RAS. (In Russ.)
- O’Brien M.C.M. (1955). The structure of the colour centres in smoky quartz. Proc. R. Soc. (Lond.), A231, pp. 404–414. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1955.0183
- Pankrath R., Florke O.W. (1994). Kinetics of Al-Si exchange in low and high quartz: calculation of Al diffusion coefficients. Eur. J. Mineral., 6, pp. 435–457. https://doi.org/10.1127/ejm/6/4/0435
- Prokofiev V.Yu., Garofalo P.S., Bortnikov N.S., Kovalenker V.A., Zorina L.D., Grichuk D.V., Selektor S.L. (2010). Fluid Inclusion Constraints on the Genesis of Gold in the Darasun District (Eastern Transbaikalia), Russia. Economic Geology, 105(2), pp. 395–416. https://doi.org/10.2113/gsecongeo.105.2.395
- Prokofiev V.Yu., Bortnikov N.S., Kovalenker V.A., Vinokurov S.F., Zorina L.D., Chernova A.D., Kryazhev S.G., Krasnov A.N., Gorbacheva S.A. (2010). The Darasun gold deposit, Eastern Transbaikal region: Chemical composition, REE patterns, and stable carbon and oxygen isotopes of carbonates from ore veins. Geo. Ore Deposits, 52, pp. 81–113.
- Prokofiev V.Yu., Bortnikov N.S., Zorina L.D., Kulikova Z.I., Matel N.L., Kolpakova N.N., Ilyina G.F. (2000). Genetic features of the Darasun gold-sulfide deposit (Eastern Transbaikalia, Russia). Geo. Ore Deposits, 42(6), pp. 526–548. (In Russ.)
- Prokofiev V.Yu., Zorina L.D. (1996). Fluid regime of the Darasun ore-magmatic system (Eastern Transbaikalia) according to the study of fluid inclusions. Geology and Geophysics, 37(5), pp. 50–61. (In Russ.)
- Rakov L.T. (2009). The effect of alkaline ions on the isomorphism of aluminum and titanium in quartz. Geochemistry International, 47, pp. 942–947.
- Rakov L.T., Dubinchuk V.T., Skamnitskaya L.S., Shchiptsov V.V. (2016). Mobile impurities in quartz of the Karelo-Kola region. Proceedings of the Trudy Karel’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN, ser. geologiya dokembriya, 10, pp. 100–118. (In Russ.)
- Rakov L.T., Kiseleva G.D., Kovalenker V.A. (2020). Genetic analysis of quartz from the Bugdainskoye gold-bearing W-MO-porphyry deposit (Eastern Transbaikalia, Russia) based on EPR study. Razvedka i okhrana nedr, 2, pp. 63–75. (In Russ.)
- Rakov L.T. (2006). Mechanisms of isomorphism in quartz. Geochemistry International, 44, pp. 1004–1014. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0016702906100053
- Rakov L.T. (2007). Scientific foundations of the use of structural defects in quartz as an indicator of mineral formation. Dr. geol.-min. sci. diss. Moscow: VIMS. (In Russ.)
- Rakov, L.T., Prokofiev, V.Y. & Zorina, L.D. (2019a). Impurity Elements in Quartz from Gold Deposits of the Darasun Ore Field (Eastern Transbaikalia, Russia): Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Data. Geol. Ore Deposits, 61, pp. 162–184. https://doi.org/10.1134/S107570151902003X
- Rakov, L.T., Prokofiev, V.Y. & Zorina, L.D. (2019b). H+ and Li+ Charge Compensator Ions in Structural Channels of Quartz from Gold Deposits of the Darasun Gold Ore Field (Eastern Transbaikalia, Russia): Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Data. Geol. Ore Deposits, 61, pp. 74–97. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1075701519010057
- Rakov L.T., Shuriga T.N. (2009). The structural dynamic state of quartz as a criterion of its genesis. Geochem. Int., 47, 1021. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0016702909100061
- Sokerina N.V., Kotova E.N., Shanina S.N., Golubev E.A. (2008). Features of the formation of gold-ore and non-gold-ore quartz veins in the Sinilga, Circumpolar Urals. Vestnik In-ta geologii Komi NTs tsentra UrO RAN, 3, pp. 7–10. (In Russ.)
- Stavrov O.D., Moiseev B.M., Rakov L.T. (1978). Investigation of the relationship between the concentrations of aluminum centers and the content of alkaline elements in natural quartz. Geokhimiya, 3, pp. 333–339. (In Russ.)
- Tailby N.D., Cherniak D.J., Watson E.B. (2018). Al diffusion in quartz. American Mineralogist, 103(6), pp. 839–847. https://doi.org/10.2138/am-2018-5613
- Timofeevsky D.A. (1972). Geology and mineralogy of the Darasun gold ore region. Moscow: Nedra. (In Russ.)
- Urai J.L., Means W.D., Lister G.S. (1986). Dynamic recrystallization of minerals. In: Hobbs B.E., Heard H.C. (Eds.). Mineral and rock deformation: laboratory studies. Geophysical monograph, 36, pp. 161–199. https://doi.org/10.1029/GM036p0161
- Weil J.A. (1984). A review of electron spin spectroscopy and its application to the study of paramagnetic defects in crystalline quartz. Phys. and Chem. of Minerals, 10, pp. 149–165. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00311472
- Wright P.M., Weil J.A., Anderson J.H. (1963). Titanium colour centres in rose quartz. Nature, 197, pp. 246–248. https://doi.org/10.1038/197246a0
Leonid T. Rakov – DSc (Geology and Mineralogy), Leading Researcher, Laboratory of Geology of Ore Deposits, Institute of Geology of Ore Deposits, Petrography, Mineralogy and Geochemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences
35, Staromonetny Lane, Moscow, 119017, Russian Federation
Vsevolod Y. Prokofiev – DSc (Geology and Mineralogy), Head of the Laboratory of Geochemistry, Institute of Geology of Ore Deposits, Petrography, Mineralogy and Geochemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences
35, Staromonetny Lane, Moscow, 119017, Russian Federation
Elena A. Minervina – Junior Researcher, Laboratory of Mineral Substance Analysis, Institute of Geology of Ore Deposits, Petrography, Mineralogy and Geochemistry of the Russian Academy of Sciences
35, Staromonetny Lane, Moscow, 119017, Russian Federation
Lidiya D. Zorina – PhD (Geology and Mineralogy), Chief Researcher, Vinogradov Institute of Geochemistry of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
1a, Favorsky st., Irkutsk, 664033, Russian Federation
Rakov L.T., Prokofiev V.Yu., Minervina E.A., Zorina L.D. (2022). Aluminum in quartz of the Darasun gold deposit (Eastern Transbaikal region, Russia). Georesursy = Georesources, 24(1), pp. 51–61. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2022.1.5