ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Identification of Zones and Areal Extent of Weathered Crystalline Basement in the Archean-Lower Proterozoic Crust of the South Tatar Arch
N.B. Amelchenko1, R.Kh. Masagutov2, R.V. Akhmetzyanov1, K.S. Kurbangaleeva1
Based on the data of geophysical surveys and deep drilling the depth to the crystalline basement and its weathered upper layer at the eastern flank of the South Tartar Arch varies from 1650 to 2500 m. Against the ongoing depletion of hydrocarbon reserves in the Paleozoic reservoirs of the region the basement becomes a promising exploration target. However the study of its architecture, composition and areal extent is largely hindered by so far very limited coring in this interval. In previous research correlation of core data and wireline logs was used for petrophysical characterization and identification of zones in a vertical profile of the upper weathered layer of the basement in the deep parametric test wells 50 Novournyak and 2000 Tyimazy with most complete core recovery. These characterization criteria have been utilized for analysis of 750 deep wells drilled in Bashkortostan within the South Tatar Arch which is bounded in the south by the Serafimovsko-Baltaevskiy Graben. In 340 wells based on wireline and production logs the upper weathered layer of the basement revealed certain distinct features of vertical zonation. The analysis resulted in thickness maps for Zone B and combined thickness maps for Zones B + C where the weathered basement is characterized by two morphological types – linear-areal and linear-fractured. The findings support the initial assumption that the obtained petrophysical characteristics may be applied to identify the weathered crystalline basement in wells with no core.
basement, crystalline rocks, hypergenesis, weathered layer, zone, core, areal extent
- Amel’chenko N.B., Ivanova T.V., Ivanov D.I., Masagutov R.Kh. Weathering Crust of the Basement in Parametric Wells 50 Novournyak and 2000 Tuimazy in the South-Tatar Arch. Georesursy = Georesources. 2016. V. 18. No. 3. Part 2. Pp. 212-217. DOI: 10.18599/grs.18.3.11
- Chetverikov L.I. Geokinematika kory vyvetrivaniya [Geokinematics of the weathered crust]. Proceedings of Voronezh State University. Geology 2005. No. 1. Pp. 11-17. (In Russ.)
- Fertl V.Kh. Spektrometriya estestvennogo gamma-izlucheniya v skvazhine [Spectrometry of natural gamma radiation in the well]. Neft’, gaz i neftekhimiya za rubezhom [Oil, gas, petrochemistry abroad]. 1983. Pp. 3-8. (In Russ.)
- Kayachev N.F. Oil and gas potential of the basement and its contact zone with sedimentary cover deposits within the Nepa arch of Eastern Siberia. Materialy 10 Ural’skogo litologicheskogo soveshchaniya «Virtual’nye i real’nye geologicheskie modeli» [Proc. 10th Ural lithological meeting «Virtual and real geological models»]. Ekaterinburg. 2014. Pp. 73-75. (In Russ.)
- Koronovskiy N.V., Yakushova A.F. Osnovy geologii [Basic concepts of geology]. Moscow: Vysshaya shkola. 1991. 416 p. (In Russ.)
- Leonov M.G., Tsekhovskiy Yu.G., Przhiyalgovskiy E.S., Poleshchuk A.V., Lavrushina E.V. Polygenic nature of granite clastites: Communication 1. Exogenic and tectonic postmagmatic disintegration of granite massifs. Litologiya i poleznye iskopaemye = Lithology and Mineral Resources. 2014. No. 1. Pp. 89-112.
- Razumova V.N. Drevnie kory vyvetrivaniya i gidrotermal’nyy protsess [Ancient weathering crusts and hydrothermal process]. Moscow: Nauka. 1977. 156 p. (In Russ.)
- Syngaevskiy P.E., Khafizov S.F. Formatsiya kory vyvetrivaniya v osadochnom tsikle Zapadno-Sibirskogo basseyna [Formation of weathering crust in sedimentary cycle of the West Siberian basin]. Geologiya nefti i gaza = Geology of oil and gas. 1999. No. 11-12. Pp. 22-30. (In Russ.)
- Timergazin K.R. O metamorficheskikh porodakh fundamenta platformy, vskrytykh Chekanskoy skv. № 1 [On the metamorphic rocks of the basement platform, exposed by Chekanskaya well No. 1]. Bashkirskaya neft’ [Bashkirian oil]. 1951. No. 3. Pp. 8-14.
- Timergazin K.R. Dodevonskie obrazovaniya Zapadnoy Bashkirii i perspektivy ikh neftegazonosnosti [Pre-Devonian formations of Western Bashkiria and oil and gas potential]. Ufa: GGI BFAN SSSR. 1959. 311 p.
- Zhuravlev E.G. Oil and gas pools in weathering crusts on the sedimentary basin basement. Litologiya i poleznye iskopaemye = Lithology and Mineral Resources. 2009. No. 3. Pp. 329-334. (In Russ.)
1BashNIPIneft LLC, Ufa, Russia
2Bashneft PJSC, Ufa, Russia
Amelchenko N.B., Masagutov R.Kh., Akhmetzyanov R.V., Kurbangaleeva K.S. Identification of Zones and Areal Extent of Weathered Crystalline Basement in the Archean-Lower Proterozoic Crust of the South Tatar Arch. Georesursy = Georesources. 2017. V. 19. No. 3. Part 2. Pp. 264-271. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.19.3.18