ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Anisotropic anelastic seismic full waveform modeling and inversion: Application to North Sea offset VSP data
C. Barnes, M. Charara
In sedimentary basin, elastic anisotropy can be described by a transverse isotropic medium and the attenuation in the seismic bandwidth can be approximated by a quasi-constant quality factor. Very few full waveform inversions were conducted for such realistic media to show the feasibility and the benefit of this approach. For illustration, we have chosen two offset VSP datasets from the North Sea displaying attenuated phases and where the medium is known to be transverse isotropic. By inverting elastic parameters, anisotropy, shear attenuation and source functions, we have been able to find an Earth model reproducing fairly the real data. By exploiting all the information in the seismograms, full waveform inversion allows us to localize and characterize the Brent gas reservoir target.
modeling, anisotropy, full waveform inversions, VSP
- Barnes C. and M. Charara (2009). Viscoelastic full waveform inversion of North Sea offset VSP data. SEG Expanded Abstracts, pp. 2278-2282.
- Barnes C., Charara M. and Tsuchiya T. (2008). Feasibility study for an anisotropic full waveform inversion of cross-well data. Geophysical Prospecting, 56, pp. 897-906.
- Barnes C., Charara M. and Tsuchiya T. (2004). Borehole seismic data inversion for attenuating media. 66th Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, P012.
- Carcione J.M. (1990). Wave propagation in anisotropic linear viscoelastic media: Theory and simulated wavefields. Geophysical Journal International, 101, pp. 739-750.
- Charara M., Barnes C. and Tarantola A. (1996). Constrained waveform inversion of seismic well data, in Inverse methods. Lecture notes in Earth sciences, 63, pp. 98-112.
- Charara M., Barnes C. and Tarantola A. (2000). Full waveform inversion of seismic data for a viscoelastic medium, in Inverse methods. Lecture notes in Earth sciences, 92, pp. 68-81.
- Charara M., Barnes C. and Tsuchiya T. (2004). Crosswell seismic data tomography for heterogeneous viscoelastic media. 74th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 23, pp. 1822-1825.
- Igel H., Djikpéssé H. and Tarantola A. (1996). Waveform inversion of marine reflection seismograms for P impedance and Poisson’s ratio. Geophysical Journal International, 124, pp. 363-371.
- Minsaas O., Kravik K. and Haller D. (1994). Integration of exploration and reservoir approaches through geophysical and geological technologies in mature area. Proceedings of the 14th World Petroleum Congress, 77.
- Mittet R., Hokstad K., Helgesen J. and Canadas G. (1997). Imaging of offset VSP data with an elastic iterative migration scheme, Geophysical Prospecting, 45, pp. 247-267
- Muller J. and Ediriweera K. (1993), Walkaway VSP or fixed offset VSP? A case history on the Lille Frigg field. EAGE, Expanded Abstracts, C040.
- Tarantola A. (1986). A strategy for nonlinear elastic inversion of seismic reflection data. Geophysics, 51, pp. 1983-1903.
- Tarantola A. (1987). Inverse problem theory: Methods for data fitting and model parameter estimation: Elsevier.
- Virieux J. and Operto S. (2009). An overview of full-waveform inversion in exploration geophysics. Geophysics, 74, WCC1-WCC26
Barnes Ch., Charara M. (2018). Anisotropic anelastic seismic full waveform modeling and inversion: Application to North Sea offset VSP data. Georesursy = Georesources, 20(3), Part 1, pp. 149-153. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2018.3.149-153