ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Evaluation of mineral and organic inhibitor effects on bentonite clay
The supra-salt complex of the oilfield of the Republic of Belarus is represented by high-colloidal multicolored clay deposits with layers of unstable sandstones and aleurolites evenly distributed throughout the section. Drilling of intervals which are represented by clay sediments is accompanied by complications caused by swelling of clays – stuck, tightening, sticking clay on the drilling tool. Swelling occurs during drilling of high-colloidal clays. As a result of the action of the drilling mud and its filtrate, the clay swells, narrowing the trunk and reducing the stability of the walls of well. For the prevention or maximum reduction of the intensity of the swelling the drilling mud must have a high inhibitory ability. Such properties are attached by special reagents-inhibitors, which are the main component of the inhibiting drilling fluid. The creation of such drilling fluid is advisable to start with the choice of the reagent-inhibitor.
This article provides a comparison of the inhibitory effect of the two reagents specific to organic (Polyekol) and inorganic (potassium chloride) compounds. To assess the effectiveness of these reagents, the indicator of moisturizing ability was used. In the experiment, the highest efficiency demonstrated organic reagent-inhibitor Polyekol at a concentration of 2%, and the inorganic reagent-inhibitor potassium chloride resulted in cracking of samples. The results obtained during the comparison of these reagents will form the basis for the development of an inhibiting drilling mud for drilling of the supra-salt deposits of the Pripyat trough.
clay, swelling, complications, wellbore stability, reagents-inhibitors, drilling mud, indicator of moisturizing ability
- Bileckij M.T., Kasenov A.K., Sushko S.M. (2013). The practice of inhibiting drilling muds application for the purpose of preventing geological aggravations while penetrating bulging clays. Vestnik Kazahskogo nacional’nogo tehnicheskogo universiteta imeni K.I. Satpaeva [Bulletin of the Satpayev Kazakh National Technical University ], 3(97), pp. 16-22. (In Russ.)
- Bortnikov S.V. (2012). Activation of alkaline-earth bentonite by sodium carbonate. Al’manah sovremennoy nauki i obrazovaniya [Almanac of modern science and education], 2(57), pp. 61-63. (In Russ.)
- Egorova E.V. (2010). Razrabotka ingibiruyushchego burovogo rastvora dlya bureniya v glinistykh otlozheniyakh [Development of inhibitory drilling mud for drilling in clay sediments]. Avtoref. dis. kand. tehn. nauk [Abstract Cand. tech. sci. diss.]. Astrahan, 194 p. (In Russ.)
- Grim R.E. (1956). Clay mineralogy. Moscow: Foreign Literature Publ., 457 p. (In Russ.)
- Kister Je.G. (1972). Chemical treatment of drilling muds. Moscow: Nedra Publ., 392 p.
- Koshelev V.N., Gvozd’ M.S., Rastegaev B.A., Ul’shin V.A., Fatkullin T.G. (2015). The choice of a solution for drilling up clay rocks. Burenie i neft’ = Drilling and oil, 9, pp. 27-32. (In Russ.)
- Masalida I.V. (2017). Study of the inhibiting properties of organic and inorganic reagents in polymer-clay drilling mud. Problemy geologii i osvoeniya nedr: trudy XXI Mezhd. simpoziuma im. ak. M.A. Usova [Problems of geology and subsoil development: Proc. XXI Int. Symp. named after ac. M.A. Usov]. Tomsk: TPU publ., v.2, pp. 506-508. (In Russ.)
- Povzhik P.P., Dobrodeyeva I.V., Degtyarev F.V. (2017). The study of physico-chemical properties of clay-containing samples with the aim of selecting reagents-inhibitors of clay hydration. Oborudovaniye i tekhnologii dlya neftegazovogo kompleksa = Equipment and technologies for oil and gas complex, 4, pp. 21-24. (In Russ.)
- Povzhik P.P., Degtyarev F.V. (2017). Laboratory testing of clays inhibitors and selecting of the optimal reagent for troubleproof drilling of supra-salt part of the Pripyat trough. Oborudovaniye i tekhnologii dlya neftegazovogo kompleksa = Equipment and technologies for oil and gas complex, 6, pp. 4-8. (In Russ.)
- Saltykov V.V. (2008). The theory and practice of opening high clay terrigenous reservoirs for oil and gas with biopolymer solutions. Avtoref. dis. dokt. tehn. nauk [Abstract Dr. tech. sci. diss.]. Tyumen, 43 p. (In Russ.)
- Sereda N.G., Solov’ev E.M. (1974). Drilling of oil and gas wells. Moscow: Nedra Publ., 455 p. (In Russ.)
- Sulakshin S.S., Chubik P.S. (2011). The destruction of rocks during exploration. Tomsk: TPU publ., 367 p. (In Russ.)
- Uljasheva N.M. (2008). Tehnologiya burovyh zhidkostey [Technology of drilling muds]. Uhta: UGTU, 164 p. (In Russ.)
- Zamulin P.V. (2015) Types of drilling muds. The development of polymer-containing drilling muds, their features and advantages over the other solutions. Sovremennye problemy gidrogeologii, inzhenernoj geologii i gidrogeojekologii Evrazii: materialy Vserossijskoj konferencii [Modern problems of hydrogeology, engineering geology and hydrogeoecology of Eurasia: Proc. All-Russian Conf.]. Tomsk: TPU publ., pp. 591-596. (In Russ.)
15b, Knizhnaya st., Gomel, 246003, Republic of Belarus
Degtjarjov F.V. (2018). Evaluation of mineral and organic inhibitor effects on bentonite clay. Georesursy = Georesources, 20(4), Part 1, pp. 355-358. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2018.4.355-358