ISSN 1608-5078 (Online)
Methods for ensuring of stable operate of steam-water wells
The conditions for the stable operation of the steam-water geothermal well are considered on the basis of the analysis of the characteristics reflecting the dependence of the bottomhole pressure on the flow rate for the well and the feed aquifer. When the position of the static water level is below the wellhead, these conditions determine the principle possibility of the steam-lift production of the fluid in the self-discharge regime. When constructing the characteristics of the well, it is necessary to take into account the dependence of the external wellhead pressure, determined by the flow downstream from the wellhead, on the flow. A sufficient condition for stable steam-lift operation is the finding of a working point (the intersection of characteristics) on the ascending branch of the characteristic of the well. In the presence of factors that inhibit the development of instability at the wellhead, the possibility of steam-lift operation while finding a working point and on the descending branch near the extremum of the well characteristic is not ruled out.
Some methods of changing the characteristics of a well and an aquifer that contribute to the achievement of the required location of the working point are considered. The importance of choosing the method of excitation of a well and the technology of its implementation in the presence of the required location are noted. The reasons for appearance of difficulties of the steam-lift operation of the well are indicated. It is recommended, having faced in practice with such difficulties and having found the reasons for their occurrence, choose the most appropriate ways of eliminating them, preferring the simplest in the implementation the methods that, in case of failure, will not interfere with further attempts to provide the necessary mode of operation.
steam-water well, steam-lift, self-discharge, feed aquifer, static water level
- Alimonti C., Berardi D., Bocchetti D., Soldo E. (2016). Coupling of energy conversion systems and wellbore heat exchanger in a depleted oil well. Geothermal Energy, 4(11), pp. 1-17. DOI: 10.1186/s40517-016-0053-9
- Alishaev M.G., Azizov G.A. (2011). Thermobaric calculation of a steam-thermal borehole. Thermal Engineering, 58(7), pp. 578-592. DOI: 10.1134/S0040601511070020 (In Russ.)
- Alkhasov A.B., Alishayev M.G., Alkhasova D.A. (2016). Vaporization and movement of the mixture through the well during the extraction of deep thermal waters. Mat. II mezhd. nauchno-prakt. konf.: GEOENERGY [Proc. II Int. Sci.-Pract. Conf.: GeoEnergy]. Groznyy, pp. 101-115. (In Russ.)
- Bertani R. (2016). Geothermal power generation in the world 2010-2014 update report. Geothermics, 60, pp. 31-43. DOI:10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.11.003
- Boure J., Bergles A., Tong L. (1973). Review of two-phase flow instabilities. Nucl. Eng. Des., 25, pp. 165-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(73)90043-5
- Droznin V.A. (1980). Fizicheskaya model vulkanicheskogo protsessa [Physical model of volcanic process]. Moscow: Nauka, 92 p. (In Russ.)
- Grubelich M.C., King D., Knudsen S., Blankenship D., Bane S., Venkatesh P. (2015). An overview of a high energy stimulation technique for geothermal applications. Proceedings of the World Geothermal Congress. Melbourne, Australia. No. 31070, pp. 1-6.
- Holmberg H., Acuña J., Næss E., Sønju O.K. (2016). Numerical model for nongrouted borehole heat exchanges, part 2 – Evaluation. Geothermics, 59, pp. 134-144. DOI: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2014.11.002
- Kolesnikov D.V., Lyubin A.A., Shulyupin A.N. (2015). Problems with using the geothermal resources of Kamchatka. Power Technology and Engineering, 49(3), pp. 212-215. DOI: 10.1007/s10749-015-0601-7 (In Russ.)
- Ledinegg M. (1938). Instability of flow during natural and forced circulation. Die Warme, 61(8), pp. 891-898.
- Lous M.L., Larroque F., Dupuy A., Moignard A. (2015). Thermal performance of a deep borehole heat exchanger: Insights from a synthetic coupled heat and flow model. Geothermics, 57, pp. 157-172. DOI:10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.06.014
- Lund J.W., Boyd T.L. (2016). Direct utilization of geothermal energy 2015 worldwide review. Geothermics, 60, pp. 66-93. DOI: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.11.004
- Mubarok M.H., Zarrouk S.J. (2017). Discharge stimulation of geothermal wells: Overview and analysis. Geothermics, 70, pp. 17-37. DOI: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2017.05.012
- Nayak A.K., Vijayan P.K. (2008). Flow Instabilities in Boiling Two-Phase Natural Circulation Systems: A Review. Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations, ID 573192. DOI: 10.1155/2008/573192
- On M.D.G., Andrino R.P. (2015). Evaluation of hydraulic stimulation-induced permeability enhancement. Proceedings of the World Geothermal Congress. Melbourne, Australia, No. 22094, pp. 1-8.
- Pasikki R.G., Libert F., Yoshioka K., Leonard R. (2010). Well stimulation techniques applied at the Salak geothermal field. Proceedings of the World Geothermal Congress. Bali, Indonesia. No. 2274, pp. 1-11.
- Ruspini L.C., Marcel C.P., Clausse A. (2014). Two-phase flow instabilities: A review. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 71, pp. 521-548. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.12.047
- Shulyupin A.N. (2016). Flow instability in producing well at flash-steam fields. Zapiski Gornogo instituta = Journal of Mining Institute, 220, pp. 551‑555. DOI: 10.18454/PMI.2016.4.551 (In Russ.)
- Shulyupin A.N., Chermoshentseva A.A. (2013). On calculation of a steam-water flow in a geothermal well. Technical Physics, 58(8), pp. 1100‑1105. DOI:10.1134/S1063784213080227 (In Russ.)
- Shulyupin A.N., Chermoshentseva A.A., Chernev I.I. Metastable flow in steam-water geothermal well. Vestnik KamchatGTU = Bulletin оf Kamchatka State Technical University, 43, pp. 37-43. DOI: 10.17217/2079-0333-2018-43-37-43 (In Russ.)
- Shulyupin A.N., Chernev I.I. (2015). Some methods for reducing of steam deficit at geothermal power plants exploitation: Experience of Kamchatka (Russia). Geothermal Energy, 3(23), pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1186/s40517-015-0042-4
- Shulyupin A.N., Lyubin A. A., Chernev I. I. (2017). Optimization of wellhead piping design for production wells at development of steam-water geothermal fields. Georesursy = Georesurses, 19(1), pp. 78-81. DOI: 10.18599/grs.19.1.12
- Siratovich P., Cole J., Heap M., Villeneuve M., Reuschle T., Swanson K., Kennedy B., Gravley D., Lavallee Y. (2015). Experimental thermal stimulation of the Rotokawa Andesite. Proceedings of the World Geothermal Congress. Melbourne, Australia. No. 22044, pp. 1-6.
- Wołoszyn J., Gołas A. (2016). Experimental verification and programming development of a new MDF borehole heat exchanger numerical model. Geothermics, 59, pp. 67-76. DOI: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.10.006
Aleksandr N. Shulyupin
Mining Institute of the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
51, Turgeneva st., 51, Khabarovsk, 680000, Russian Federation
Shulyupin A.N. (2019). Methods for ensuring of stable operate of steam-water wells. Georesursy = Georesources, 21(1), pp. 99-106. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18599/grs.2019.1.99-106